Gender Equality and Women’s Empowerment feature prominently in the 2030 Agenda, the new European Consensus on Development and the OECD Global Forum on Development and the European Development Days in 2018. With its Coalition Agreement the new German Government, which took office in March 2018, firmly put its weight behind the promotion of gender equality and women’s empowerment.
Thanks to the GIZ-wide commitment, the Safeguards+Gender Management System introduced in 2016 and excellent submissions to the GIZ Gender Competition, we are well-positioned and equipped to actively contribute to the promotion of gender equality around the world.
Dirk Aßmann and Angela Langenkamp
New GIZ Gender Strategy
‚Gender reloaded: Vision needs Attitude – Attitude meets Action’ is the motto for GIZ’s new Gender Strategy, which was adopted by the Management Board on 18 December 2018.
Gender equality is a human right and its implementation unfortunately cannot be taken for granted, but has to be actively pursued. The Gender Strategy is intended to provide us with guidance at GIZ. It creates a binding framework for our actions – so that we play our part in ensuring that all people, irrespective of their gender, sexual orientation and gender identity, have the same opportunities and rights, and can also demand and exercise them.
The Gender Strategy sets a range of goals for GIZ, but does not specify the path to achieve them. GIZ internal operationalisation guidelines, accompanying the new strategy, give all organisational units, employees and staff a clear orientation and the opportunity to further customise the framework for themselves. The presentation attached provides insights how Jemen has approached this task at country level.
Interview Tanja Gönner, Chair of the GIZ Management Board
Gender Award Winners 2018
● 1 ● Programme Strengthening Women in Decision Making in Middle East
● 1 ● Regional programme ComVoMujer in Peru
● 1 ● Programme Agricultural Value Chains for Sustainable Development
● 2 ● Sector project Digitalisation for Sustainable Development
● 3 ● A develoPPP.de intervention in Ghana
● 3 ● Recovery Programme Nepal
Get involved and stay engaged!
GIZ Gender Gateway - GIZ internal only
IDA Gender Community - GIZ internal only
- GIZ a TOP-Performer – Global Health 50/50 Report 2019 Posted in: Gender Week Blog, Year 2019- The independent Global Health 50/50 Initiative is associated to the Centre for Gender and Global Health at the University College… …
- All things Gender: interactive mapping tool Posted in: Gender Week Blog, Year 2019- Looking for Gender-related documents and strategies? Our mapping tool might help! As the only GG2 project in agriculture and skills… …
- Dialoge zu Empowerment am Weltfrauentag: Wie können Migrantinnen und geflüchtete Frauen in der Türkei und Deutschland besser gestärkt werden? Posted in: Gender Week Blog, Year 2019- Geflüchtete Frauen und Migrantinnen bergen enormes Potenzial für aufnehmende Gemeinden – in der Türkei wie auch in Deutschland. Das ist… …